Dear Valadez Middle School Academy Families:
What is Collaboration?
A systematic process in which we work together, interdependently to analyze and impact professional practice in order to improve our individual and collective results.
Educational research supports the fact that developing a staff’s capacities for talking together may be the most significant investment staffs can make for student learning (Garmston/Wellman). Valadez Middle School Academy uses Monday time together to do just that: develop professional learning communities! A systematic process is implemented where every member of our staff engages in the ongoing exploration of four crucial questions that drive the work of those within our school. The questions we continually address throughout the year are:
- What do we want each student to learn (essential knowledge and skills)?
- How will we know when each student has learned it (ongoing assessments)?
- How will we respond when a student experiences difficulty in learning (student interventions)?
- How will we deepen the learning for students who have already mastered essential knowledge and skills (differentiated learning)?
The Valadez Middle School Academy Staff continues to analyze and discuss common core standards, district curriculum guides, and student achievement data.
Our community continues to support our commitment to improving learning in our school.
The Big Question…
How does Valadez Middle School Academy continue to maintain a high level of excellence with our staff in progressing forward with professional learning communities?
1. Providing professional development
2. Encouraging staff buy-in
3. Recognizing the difference between “teaming” and true collaboration
4. Continuing positive school culture
5. Building trust